ABC Storytimes- Letter A

This year for my all-ages, drop-in storytime, I wanted to challenge myself to plan a little less thematically. I also wanted to revitalize some of the ways I include early literacy activities and skill builders into storytimes. But I also know that most kids respond well to themes, and my adults (mostly in-home daycare providers, love them too). My compromise? An ABC series. Some pieces will stay the same week-to-week, but instead of trying to find 3 or 4 great read-aloud books about Triceratops (for instance), I am allowing myself to focus on finding great activities for the letter of the day, regardless of their topic.

So without further ado, I bring you the Letter A.

Books:
(Note to self: Did not have time to read I Love Planes).

Cover Art for Ten apples up on top!Cover Art for I love planes! syndetics-lc

ECRR2 Activities:

  • Hand out letters as kids come to the storytime area and are seated nicely. Call them up to put the letters on the Chicka Chicka tree (we used colors this time); sing ABCs (Playing & Singing)
  • Pull letters out of the Alphabet Soup pot, practice matching them to the letter of the day (Talking) [did not do because Miss Amy forgot the special soup pot at home]
  • Letter of the day writing practice with dry erase boards (Writing) [This was a big hit; the kids were so proud of the scribbles and shaky letters they drew. I discovered that the erasers were not secured to the caps in any fashion, so after storytime I pulled out the tacky glue and glued the erasers into the caps.]
Extensions:
Songs:
  1. "Can't Wait to Celebrate" by Jim Gill from Jim Gill's Irrational Anthem
  2. "ABC Gospel" by Genevieve Goings from Choo Choo Soul [with egg shakers]
  3. "Reach for the Sky" by Wee Sing from Wee Sing Children's Songs and Fingerplays
Craft: Apple Prints


I think the order of presentation was: Chicka Chicka tree, Jim Gill song, Ten Apples Up on Top, white boards, Alpha Gator, Apple Farmer Annie, ABC Gospel song, Red House story, Wee Sing song, and craft. But I'm not too sure! I never plan a specific order, though I do make mental note of things that would transition well together. For instance, I did the Red House story near the end so that I could preview  the craft before we did the last song, rather than try to bring the group back together after the song to explain the project.

CONVERSATION

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Back
to top